Global Sea Mineral Resources nv (GSR) is celebrating a decade of deep ocean exploration, research and innovation as we mark the 10-year anniversary of our exploration contract with the International Seabed Authority.
Under the contract, signed 14 January 2013, GSR has exclusive rights for polymetallic nodule exploration over 74,991 square kilometers of the seabed in the eastern part of the Clarion Clipperton Fracture Zone of the Pacific Ocean.
Over the past decade, achievements have included:
• 7 offshore expeditions totaling 266 days at sea
• Mapping of the entire contract area
• 5.5 years of oceanographic data collection
• Over 1 million photos of the deep seabed
• 27 scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals
• 2 ultra-deep water technology trials at 4500 m water depth
• A capacity building program that has so far resulted in the success of 23 trainees including 14 from developing countries
We are proud of our journey so far and look forward to the next 10 years and beyond.